JOINT NEWS RELEASE: Montgomery County, Town of Blacksburg, and Town of Christiansburg Announce Childcare Providers Recovery Grant
Application Deadline: Nov. 1, 2020
Montgomery County and the Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg have established a grant fund to support the recovery and stabilization of childcare providers and their ability to respond to the changing needs of families as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. The grant program is administered by all three localities, with funding provided by the 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
To be considered for funding, applicants must be existing licensed family day homes, licensed child day centers, religiously exempt child day centers, licensed family day systems, certified preschools, or licensed after-school programs. Facilities must certify that they provided or are willing to provide care for children in March through December 2020, and attest that they are following COVID-19 health and safety guidelines.
The Childcare Providers Recovery Grant is the third grant opportunity offered by the three localities in response to COVID-19. The localities previously announced a Small Business Recovery Grant and a Nonprofit Recovery Grant.
There are a number of eligible grant uses for childcare providers, including but not limited to, payroll expenses, lease or mortgage payments, utilities (electric or gas), insurance, personal protective equipment (PPE), cleaning supplies or services, equipment and inventory purchases, technology enhancement, and professional services. Expenses incurred before March 15; those reimbursed by other federal or state funds; or items not deemed ‘necessary’ are ineligible.
Need Help? Have Questions?
- Completion of the grant application outlining the use of funds by Nov. 1, 2020.
For full details, and to complete the online grant application, visit one of the following sites:
- Maximum amount available per award will be calculated by multiplying: [the number of months that the program has been running from April through October 2020] x [$100] x [half of the total licensed capacity].
- For example, if a facility’s total capacity is 50 children, the monthly grant amount would be 25 (half the total capacity) times $100, for a total of $2,500 for each month the facility has been open. If the program is open for July, August, and September, the grant award would be $7,500 ($2,500 x 3).
- One (1) application per childcare provider. Please note: If you are a childcare provider and believe it would be preferable to apply through either the nonprofit or small business grant program instead, you may do so. However, you must pick only one.
- Funds will be reviewed by a grant review committee and awarded at one time.
- Grant distribution is scheduled to begin in October or November 2020, but the distribution timeline may vary depending on the locality administering the grant and on demand.
Jennifer Tatum Harris
Public Information Director
Public Relations Director
Town of Christiansburg