Important budget dates
The Board of Supervisors will be considering the County's Fiscal Year 2012 budget in coming weeks. The fiscal year runs from July 1 through June 30, 2012. Here are some key dates:
March 7, 5 p.m. - Board of Supervisors special meeting: County Administrator Craig Meadows introduces the proposed FY12 budget.
March 24, 7:15 p.m. - Board of Supervisors meeting: Public hearing on the advertised real estate tax rate and proposed FY12 budget. Citizens may comment during the public hearing and provide comments directly to members of the Board of Supervisors. Contact information may be found by clicking here.
April 11, 7:15 p.m. - Board of Supervisors meeting: Establishment of tax rate and adoption of FY12 budget.
Board meetings are held at the Government Center, 755 Roanoke St., Christiansburg. Rebroadcasts are shown on Comcast Channel 190 and posted here.
The proposed FY12 budget will also be posted on the County's website and available at the Government Center, County libraries and other locations.
Ten historic books have been restored and returned to the Montgomery County Circuit Court Clerk's office. The restored volumes include Plat Book G, original Deed Book A, Soldier's Records and Order Books 26 through 32.
"We are ensuring that these documents remain a permanent part of Montgomery County's records for future generations," Circuit Court Clerk Erica Williams said.
To read the full news release, click here.
A Zumba class will be held every Tuesday in March, from 12:15 to 1
p.m., at the Montgomery County Government Center! Register by Friday,
Feb. 25, to join the fun.
Zumba is a Latin-inspired
dance-fitness class. The name "Zumba" is derived from a Colombian word
meaning "to move fast and have fun." It fuses Latin and international
rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create an exciting workout program.
It also creates a party-like atmosphere that provides a non-intimidating
opportunity for participants of any fitness level.
For more information, please go to the Zumba website, www.zumba.com. Click here for the Montgomery County Parks and Recreation Winter/Spring registration form.
382-6975 if you have any questions. Check out the other fun
Winter/Spring recreation opportunities offered by Parks and Recreation
by clicking here!
It's a mystery!
Montgomery County Parks and Recreation held a Murder
Mystery Luncheon on Feb. 8 at the Montgomery County
Government Center. The classic who-done-it game had participants playing characters and asking each other questions to figure out who the perpetrator was.
Protect yourself from the flu
It's not too late to get a flu shot! The New River Health District offers seasonal flu vaccines to everyone ages six months and older daily, Monday through Friday, at no cost to you. For your convenience, you have the choice of an appointment or you can simply walk into your local health department.
Call or come by for your flu shot today, at any of the following clinic locations:
- Montgomery County Health Department, 210 South Pepper St., Suite A, Christiansburg, (540) 381-7100
- Floyd County Health Department, 203 South Locust St., Suite M, Floyd, (540) 745-2141
- Giles County Health Department, 120 North Main St., Pearisburg, (540) 921-2891
- Pulaski County Health Department, 170 4th St., NW, Pulaski, (540) 994-5030
- Radford City Health Department, 212 3rd Ave., Radford, (540) 831-5774
Annual vaccination is recommended for everyone over six months of age and is especially recommended for the following high-risk groups:
For more information, call your local health department or visit www.vdh.virginia.gov.
- Persons at high risk for complications, including children ages six months to five years, pregnant women, people 50 years of age and older, people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions and people who live in nursing homes and other long term care facilites.
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications, including household contacts of persons at high risk, household contacts and caregivers of children less than six months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated as their bodies will not respond to the vaccine well enough to be helpful, it is not a safety issue) and healthcare workers.
Subscribe to our Mailing Lists
In This Issue:
It's a mystery!
Feb. 28 - Board of Supervisors meeting; 2nd floor Board Room; 7:15 p.m.; Montgomery County Government Center, 755 Roanoke St., Christiansburg
Every Tuesday in March - Zumba! - first floor multipurpose room, 12:15 - 1 p.m.; Montgomery County Government Center, 755 Roanoke St., Christiansburg
March 7 - Board
of Supervisors work session; 2nd floor Board Room; 5 p.m.; Montgomery
County Government Center, 755 Roanoke St., Christiansburg
- March 14 & 28 - Board of Supervisors meetings; 2nd floor Board Room; 7:15 p.m., Montgomery County Government Center, 755 Roanoke St., Christiansburg
Parks & Rec brochure