1. Must meet all of the requirements stated in the VA Code 15.2-1705.
2. Be a citizen of the United States.
3. Be required to undergo a background investigation, including fingerpring-based criminal history records inquiries to both the Central Criminal Records Exchange and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
4. Have a high school education or passed the General Educational Development Exam.
5. Possess a valid Virginia operator's license or be able to obtain a valid Virginia operator's license within 30 days of employment.
6. Be of good health and physical condition, and pass a physical examination subsequent to offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician.
7. Be not less than 18 years of age, generally, not less than 21 years of age for law enforcement assignments.
8. Be of good moral character and reputation.
9. Have eyesight corrected to 20/20 and normal hearing.
10. Good credit rating.