Clerk of the Circuit Court

Criminal Division

The Criminal Division of the Montgomery County Circuit Court Clerk's office creates and maintains records on all criminal cases heard in this court.


You may pay criminal fines using cash, personal check, money order, debit card or credit card (VISA and MasterCard only). If payment is made with a credit or debit card, a 3 percent convenience fee will be assessed. Online payments are not an option at this time.
  • Payments are accepted in person, by telephone or by mail.
  • If payment is made by mail, please include defendant's full name and case number. If you would like a receipt, please send a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope with your payment to: Erica Williams, Clerk, 55 East Main St. Suite 1, Christiansburg, VA 24073.

Criminal Fee Codes


Term Day/Grand Jury

  • January, April, July and October
  • The second Tuesday and fourth Tuesday of the above months

Guidelines for Misdemeanor/Traffic Appeals

Once we receive the case from the General District or Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court, you have up until the close of business the day prior to your trial date to withdraw your appeal. You must pay your fines and court costs in full at the time you withdraw your appeal. You must comply with the original terms and conditions of the order of the General District or Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court (ie: license suspension, jail time, VASAP, New River Community Corrections, no contact provisions, fines/costs imposed, etc.)

Interpreter Requests

The attorney must submit a letter to the Clerk's office requesting an interpreter at least seven (7) days prior to the trial date.

Subpoena Requests

Only if not represented by an attorney, do the following:
  • your request must be in writing;
  • you must provide full name, address and county/city in which the person being subpoenaed resides; and
  • there is no cost for criminal subpoenas.

Frequently Asked Questions

Criminal fines must be paid with cash, personal check, money order and/or credit/debit cards with the VISA/MasterCard logo. For questions, call 382-5760.

How do I set up a payment plan on my criminal fines?

    Please refer to the above information pertaining to payment plans. 

I didn't want a lawyer, but now I do. How do I get one?

    Please write a letter to the judge handling the case. 

If I'm not happy with my attorney, how do I get a new one?

    Please write a letter to the judge handling the case requesting a new court-appointed attorney.

How do I continue my court date?

    If you have a lawyer, contact his or her office. If you are not represented, write a letter to the judge handling your case with the reason why you want your case continued. Include your contact information with the letter.

Do I need to be present for a grand jury?

    If an attorney represents you, you do not need to be present. You will need to contact your attorney for your trial date. If an attorney does NOT represent you, you must be present.

    Links to local Law Enforcement Agencies

    Helpful links